How to Create an Insta-Worthy Virtual Event
Thanks to COVID-19, almost every major 2020 event has switched to virtual. With this massive shift, event planners are coming up with savvy, creative ways to provide online experiences that match the "fun factor" of their on-property events.
They're proving that just because an event is virtual doesn’t mean that it can’t be fun, engaging, and Insta-worthy.
Want to steal some of their tips and tricks to make your own virtual events Insta-worthy?
Keep reading to find out how to leverage Instagram event planning to impress your attendees, spread the word about your virtual event, and get more people talking about it than ever before!
Why Use Instagram To Appeal To Event Attendees?
Why would you want to make your event “Insta-worthy” in the first place? There are a few good reasons, including:
1. Huge audience reach – Instagram has more than 1 billion monthly active users worldwide, and 500 million use it every day. That’s one of the biggest social media audiences out there!
2. Engagement with attendees – Attendees can share information about your event and their experience, engage with friends and colleagues and get others to spread the word.
3. Brand awareness – Photos, videos, text posts, hashtags, and other information about your event allows you to build brand awareness quickly and easily, boosting your organic reach.
Tips for Creating an Insta-Worthy Event
Social media event planning through Instagram helps you reach a huge audience, engage with attendees more effectively, and build brand awareness. How do you create a truly “Insta-worthy” event that your attendees will want to share? Follow these tips:
1. Send Swag Boxes
There are a few ways that you can use swag boxes to delight attendees and create Insta-worthy content they'll want to share.
- Send swag boxes as goodie bags to all attendees (swag box photo courtesy of Red Company)
- Hold virtual giveaways for swag using social media contests
- Show appreciation to certain event attendees by sending VIP items that not everyone will get
- Use swag boxes to send items for virtual activities – for example, a bottle of ginger ale that attendees can drink for a post-event virtual “happy hour” on your video meeting platform
2. Create Fun Imagery and Content
For online events, fun imagery and well-designed, shareable content is more important than ever. Work with designers and writers to create content and imagery that fits the tone and subject of your virtual event – and make sure to make this content easily available to attendees.
For example, surprise your audience with a mini-musical starring key stakeholders from your organization, host a talent show and get your audience to share images of their favorite act. Be sure to share bloopers! You can send push notifications or messages to attendees after each keynote talk, workshop, or other event to share slides, virtual “handouts,” and other related information and content. This way, they’ll have plenty of great stuff to share on social media.
3. Hold Social Media Contests
Who doesn’t love a giveaway? With the power of Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, you can hold event social media posts for contests that will help you get more engagement with your event, while also rewarding lucky attendees.
For example, you could have a giveaway where everyone who tweets with your event’s hashtag will be entered to win 10 free tickets to your next conference. This will build plenty of buzz on social media!
4. Provide Virtual Photo Props & Backdrops
Who doesn’t love a giveaway? With the power of Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, you can hold social media contests that will help you get more engagement with your event, while also rewarding lucky attendees.
For example, you could have an Instagram event giveaway where everyone who tweets with your event’s hashtag will be entered to win 10 free tickets to your next conference. This will build plenty of social media buzz!
5. Use Hashtags to Get People Talking
Your event should always have a hashtag that you use during your own posts, and you should encourage your attendees to use it, too. This way, it will be easier for attendees – and those who missed out – to browse information about your event and see what it has to offer.
6. Make Use of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)
FOMO can be a good thing for events! You want to work your social media event planning and posting in the best possible light to show how much fun attendees are having. Consider sharing and reposting content from attendees on your event or company’s social media profiles so that people who didn’t attend can see what they’re missing – and they’ll be tempted to attend next time, or even to join in during the middle of your event!
Plan Your Fun, Insta-Worthy Virtual Event!
Virtual meetings and events hold their own unique challenges. While working with the right event technology partner, such as MeetingPlay, can help you avoid complications, you still need to take the steps to make your online program a success. Try out these steps mentioned above to see your event social media posts increase engagement and excitement!
Want more information about MeetingPlay's Virtual Engagement Platform and how it can help you hold events that will delight attendees and meet your organizational goals? Contact us online now, or try a free demo of the MeetingPlay virtual platform today.